Many companies are stepping up in this time of uncertainty. Target is giving workers raises and a paid leave option during the coronavirus pandemic, and Starbucks is paying all workers for the next 30 days regardless of whether they choose to go to work or stay home. While these steps are fantastic, in order to build a championship team and culture, companies should take actions like these all the time – not just in times of uncertainty.
Why? Because companies are made out of people. And people have a choice when they go to work every day: they can give you 110% discretionary effort or they can give you scraps. How an employee is treated, and the culture in which they are being asked to do their job, has a major bearing on the choice they make, and hence, a major bearing on your customer satisfaction score and bottom-line results.
What are some other steps that organizations can take all of the time to inspire people to be loyal and give you everything they’ve got?
- Share metrics with employees monthly, such as the bonus payout percentage to date and progress toward company goals.
- Institute unlimited vacation days.
- Before a major decision is made, ask employees for their input. When you communicate the final decision, explain WHY the decision was made the way it was.
- Create a recognition program where all employees can recognize one another.
- Plan a quarterly “Day of Service,” where employees are paid to work, but can volunteer in your community instead.
- Empower employees to be entrepreneurial and propose solutions to organizational issues. Greenlight the best solutions and reward innovators.
JILL, WHAT CAN I DO? If you love these ideas, I have hundreds more – three decades worth to be exact, which have been suitcased into my new online course. In addition to great ideas to help you build an amazing culture, my March Madness Special enables you to spend valuable one-on-one time with me. Are you ready to FINALLY create a workplace culture that employees idolize and can’t imagine leaving… and get measurable results in six short months? Let’s partner to ensure your success – Join Me Today.