Hit a Holiday Home Run: Effective Year-End Recognition Ideas
The human need to feel acknowledged and appreciated is alive and well. With the holidays quickly approaching, here are ideas for how to best recognize employees.
- The most effective form of recognition is a “thank you”
- Have a party at the end of the work day. Avoid scheduling it after work unless attendees are invited to bring a guest
- Stock the office break room with breakfast food, as people tend to eat more liberally during the holidays
- Host an office lunch, and invite clients and business partners to attend. Have management prepare the food and serve attendees, as it’s a wonderful way to show leaders in a more personal light
- Allow employees flexible scheduling from Thanksgiving through the New Year. If work coverage is critical, post a calendar so people can balance their time off with that of their co-workers
- When giving gifts, it can be hard to know what will be well received. Items branded with a company logo are popular, but research shows that people prefer other items, such as a gift card or cash bonus
- Create gift basket packages (travel, movie packages, food, car detailing, event tickets, time off work certificates, etc.) and give employees raffle tickets that they can use to “bid” on the basket contents
Another effective strategy is to ask people how they would like to celebrate. This gesture will demonstrate that you care about people’s input and ensure you select a mode of recognition which makes people feel appreciated. Regardless of what you select, your gesture will be meaningful if you are genuine, timely, and provide specific feedback about how the person adds value and makes a difference. Happy planning!